Monday, January 21, 2013

A Liberal Speech

I want to congratulate President Obama on a fine inaugural address today.  The President was eloquent in describing the social safety net that has been in place in our country since the New Deal.
"The commitments we make to each other -- through Medicare , and Medicaid, and Social Security -- these things do not sap our initiative; they strengthen us.  They do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great." (President Obama, Inaugural Address, January 21, 2013)
I could not agree more strongly with President Obama in these core beliefs.  I see the need to uphold these programs every day in my law practice, and to care for those who cannot care for themselves.  because when we care for those who cannot speak for themselves or take care of themselves we make our nation stronger.  We are truly only as strong as our weakest link.  I am very proud of the President today.  I am very proud to say he is my President.  And I want the President to know that if he takes a strong stand in safeguarding these programs which have opened the door of opportunity for so many Americans over the years I will continue to support him, to have his back, to take the slings and arrows that I need to to be supportive of my President.  By the same token let me make clear that it is easy to speak words but it is much harder to follow through with actions, especially when your political opponents are constantly beating you up.

It is my hope and prayer that now that the President has won a second term he is freed politically to be the decent and compassionate man that he is, and that all Americans know him to be, but more importantly that he is freed to be a great President in the fashion of FDR and JFK, a President who will not be afraid to take on his political opponents to safeguard the majority of American people, especially those who are the most vulnerable in our society.

God Bless You Mr. President!



No comments:

Post a Comment