Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Difficult Choice

On Tuesday, Virginians will go to the polls to choose the next Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  Both the Democratic and Republican parties have chosen flawed candidates.  The Republican candidate, Ken Cuccinelli, is a right-wing zealot who very strongly opposes any progress in our beloved Commonwealth, whether it be with regard to equal rights or healthcare for Virginians.  The Republican party, nationally and statewide, has become more radical over the years.  You would think this would be good news for the Democrats. But as a Democrat, I must say in all honesty, our party here in Virginia has become less progressive in the last several years.  The party leaders have tended to pick nominees at the local, state, and national levels that are more moderate-to-conservative than the progressive tradition from which I come, the party of Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy, and Robert Kennedy.  The Democratic candidate for Governor this year is not a candidate who will bring decisive progressive change to Virginia.  In fact, Mr. McAuliffe has been endorsed by numerous Republican businessmen who know that he will favor the status quo.  He will not do what needs to be done, I believe, in terms of providing quality education for all of our children, and to safeguard our environment.  As a Democrat it is very difficult for me to say this, but I will not be voting for Mr. McAuliffe come Tuesday. I will not be voting for Mr. Cuccinelli either. I will write my name in for Governor of Virginia.  I hope that all of you will vote on Tuesday, and I hope that each one of you will follow your conscience and vote for the candidate you feel is best for our beloved Commonwealth.  I will continue the blog and to raise issues that I think are important to our Commonwealth and nation in the next several years.

Matt the Democrat

No comments:

Post a Comment